Organic Viking 822 Soft Red Winter Wheat
- Excellent yielding wheat with strong southern movement. Excellent on-farm results
- Medium-early variety but later heading
- Excellent standability; medium-tall height
- Very good disease resistance package to rusts & fusarium head blight (Fhb1 gene for scab tolerance)
- Suitable winter hardiness for northern zones
- Call for Price on Semi Load Quantity
$29.00 * 50lb Bag
Winter wheat provides options as a grain cash crop, straw, and a cover crop to break weed and pest cycles. A 12-year University of Illinois study found that winter wheat added as a third rotational crop to a corn-soybean rotation boosted corn harvest by 10 bushels/acre and soybeans by 5 bushels/acre. Winter wheat provides an excellent window for seeding cover crops after grain harvest.
Best Use: Grain, Cover Crop, Forage
Adaptations: All soil types
Planting Date: Sept. 10 – Oct. 10 in southern MN
(date range will change as you move north or south)
- Winter wheat needs sufficient available N (and other nutrients) to support the yield target. Many conventional producers split apply N or a total of 1.5-2.5 units per bu. of yield target
- Avoid planting winter wheat on corn ground or wheat stubble because it increases the risk of fusarium head blight
- If wheat must follow corn or corn silage, remove or bury the corn residue to reduce risk of fusarium head blight
- Planting past optimum seeding date increases the risk of winter kill and reduces yield
- Seeding too early can result in excessive fall growth, making plants more vulnerable to winter kill and acts as a green bridge for pests
- Watch chemical rotation restrictions
100-140 lbs/acre drilled 1″ to 2″ deep
Optimum final stand is 900,000-1,000,000 plants/acre
Click here to view trial data for winter wheat products.
Have you used this product? Let us know what you think.