Viking 401 BMR Male Sterile Forage Sorghum
- Medium maturity, sterile, hybrid forage sorghums with the BMR 6 trait
- 7 to 8 feet tall with stalks and leaves similar in size to corn; will head out but not produce seed
- Sweet sorgo type that can reach 18- 21% soluble sugar content at early heading stage
- Yields from 18-25 tons at 65% DM
- Reduced lignin trait (BMR) can equal the quality of corn silage
- Adapted for a single harvest
- Non-host of corn rootworms
- Available as Viking 401 and Blue River Grouse 6 (identical genetics)
Best Use: Silage, may make baleage if seeded at high rates
Adaptation: Does well on dryland or irrigated fields but requires one-third less water than corn.
Management: Isolate from other sorghums by one mile to protect sterility and prevent seed formation. Manage potential for prussic acid and nitrate buildup. Harvest in the heading stage at 80-85 days for highest sugar content. Will reach boot stage at 70-75 days.
Planting Date: Late-May – early July (soil 62°F+)
Seeding: Seed 8-10 lbs/acre in 30” rows, ½”-1” deep. (For hay, plant at higher rate).
$90.00 / 50lb Bag
Click here to learn more about Alternative Forage Crops. by Dr. Dan Undersander, Forage Agronomist at the University of Wisconsin.
Have you used this product? Let us know what you think.