Organic Winter Rye
Most common and most hardy fall-seeded cover crop in northern climates.
Winter rye competes heavily with weeds and produces lots of forage/green manure in the spring. Will germinate down to 35°F soil temp. Excellent feed value as late-season forage with protein levels up to 18%.
- Best used as a cover crop, forage crop and/or grain crop
- Well adapted to all soil types including low fertility, acidic, or sandy soils
- Can be planted deep into the fall (until first snow)
- Can suppress germination of following crops (especially small-seeded crops). Allow biomass to decompose for 7-10 days prior to planting cash crops.
- Heavy N and water user in the spring
- Kill early if drought is forecast
- Variety Not Stated
- Call for Price on Semi Load Quantity
$21.75 / 50lb Bag
|Species Name||Drilled||Broadcast/Aerial||In Mix||Approx. Seeds/lb||Seeding Date Range||Seeding Depth||Winter Kill|
|Organic Winter Rye||50-100||120-150||25-75||18,000||Aug-Nov||½ - ¾ inch||No|
|Organic Viking 210 Brand BMR Sorghum-Sudangrass / Organic Blue River Grayhawk 6|
|Organic Viking 225 Brand BMR Sorghum-Sudangrass|
|Organic Japanese Millet||25-35||35-50||5-15||145,000||Late May-July||½ - 1 inch||Yes|
|Organic Cover Crop Brand Oats|
|Organic Annual Ryegrass||15-20||25-30||4-5||227,000||Mar-May, Aug-Sept||¼ - ½|
Tips for Rolling and Crimping Winter Rye before Organic Soybeans & Decisions for Less-than-Ideal Conditions. READ NOW.