Most common and most hardy fall-seeded cover crop in northern climates.
Winter rye competes heavily with weeds and produces lots of forage/green manure in the spring. Will germinate down to 35°F soil temp. Excellent feed value as late-season forage with protein levels up to 18%.
- Best used as a cover crop, forage crop and/or grain crop
- Well adapted to all soil types including low fertility, acidic, or sandy soils
- Can be planted deep into the fall (until first snow)
- Can suppress germination of following crops (especially small-seeded crops). Allow biomass to decompose for 7-10 days prior to planting cash crops.
- Heavy N and water user in the spring
- Kill early if drought is forecast
- Variety Not Stated
- Call for Price on Semi Load Quantity
$18.75 / 50lb Bag
|Species Name||Drilled||Broadcast/Aerial||In Mix||Approx. Seeds/lb||Seeding Date Range||Seeding Depth||Winter Kill|
|Winter Rye||50-100||120150||25-75||18,000||Aug-Nov||½ - ¾ inch||No|
|Max Italian Ryegrass||15-20||25-30||4-5||227,000||March-May, Aug-Sept||¼ - ½ inch||Yes|
|Viking 100 Brand Sorghum-Sudangrass||20-25||30-35||5-10||18,000||Mid May-Early July||½ - 1 inch||Yes|
|Viking 150 Brand Sorghum-Sudangrass|
|Japanese Millet||25-35||32-50||5-15||145,000||Late May-July||½ - 1 inch|
|German Foxtail Millet|
|Proso Millet||20-30||30-45||5-15||80,000||Late May-July||½ - 1 inch|
|Hybrid Grain Sorghum (Milo)|
|Grain Sorghum - Open-Pollinated|
|RootMax Annual Ryegrass|
|Annual Ryegrass||15-20||25-30||5-10||18,000||Mid May-Early July||¼ - ½ inch||Yes|
|Green Spirit Italian Ryegrass|
|Winter Triticale||30-100||60-120||15-40||15,000||Aug-Early Oct||½ - 1 ½ inches|
Tips for Rolling and Crimping Winter Rye before Organic Soybeans & Decisions for Less-than-Ideal Conditions. READ NOW.