Organic Einkorn Heirloom Spring Wheat
- Heirloom wheat seeds for sale
- Diploid type, the oldest of the ancient wheats
- Smallest seed size of the ancient wheats
- Higher protein, beta carotene, lutein, and micronutrients compared to modern wheat
- Because of lower gluten levels, bread made with einkorn flour will not rise as much as that made with modern wheat
- Though Einkorn wheat seeds are not gluten free, some with sensitivity to gluten find that they are able to digest it
- Low yield, but can survive on poor, marginal soils
$90.00 / 50lb Bag
out of stock
ANCIENT HEIRLOOM GRAINS
With a recent resurgence in consumer demand for ancient/heirloom grains in milling and brewing, these specialty grains can offer a premium in the marketplace. Identify your market before planting and plan ahead! Emmer and Einkorn thresh with the hulls intact (like oats). Most milling and malting markets will require the grain be dehulled before accepting, so have a plan for dehulling yourself. However, if you plan to save grain for seed, store with the hull intact. Dehulled grain quickly loses its viability to germinate.
- Avoid excess nitrogen fertilizer and keep off deep, rich soils to avoid lodging.
- Plant 100-150 lbs per acre at 1” deep in the spring.
- Because the seeds are planted with attached hulls, watch for flowability issues through the drill.
- Swathing/windrowing may be a better choice than direct harvest due to lodging risk.