Organic Zollernperle Winter Spelt
- New northern European winter spelt
- Very high yield potential
- Medium maturity, good standing, medium height variety
- Awned variety with reddish grain
- MR to septoria, powdery mildew and leaf rust
- Susceptible to FHB
- Plant 150-180 lbs/acre at least 1 inch deep
ANCIENT HEIRLOOM GRAINS
With a recent resurgence in consumer demand for ancient/heirloom grains in milling and brewing, these specialty grains can offer a premium in the marketplace. Identify your market before planting and plan ahead! Emmer and Einkorn thresh with the hulls intact (like oats). Most milling and malting markets will require the grain be dehulled before accepting, so have a plan for dehulling yourself. However, if you plan to save grain for seed, store with the hull intact. Dehulled grain quickly loses its viability to germinate.
- Avoid excess nitrogen fertilizer and keep off deep, rich soils to avoid lodging.
- Plant 100-150 lbs per acre at 1” deep in the spring.
- Because the seeds are planted with attached hulls, watch for flowability issues through the drill.
- Swathing/windrowing may be a better choice than direct harvest due to lodging risk.