Organic Viking 510 BMR Sudangrass
- Brown midrib BMR (gene 6)
- Much higher yield and forage quality compared to Piper sudangrass
- Ready to harvest in 45 to 55 days
- Reaches boot stage in about 60 days
- Improved overall disease resistance
- Very heat and drought stress tolerant
- Available as Viking 0-510 and Blue River Pheasant 6 (identical genetics)
$115.00 / 50lb Bag
out of stock
An annual grass with finer stems and higher quality compared to sorghum-sudangrass hybrids & forage sorghums. Sudangrass is coarser than Japanese millet and grows 4’ to 7’ tall.
Best Uses: Hay, grazing, green chop, silage, or baleage. Use multi-cut system or managed grazing for best quality.
Adaptation: Likes hot weather.
Management: Harvest 6” above ground for best regrowth. When harvested early (30”), sudangrass contains high levels of energy and protein. Quality and energy significantly reduced after heading. Manage potential for prussic acid and nitrate build-up.
Planting Date: Late May – early July (soil at 62°F+)
Seeding: Drill 20-30 lbs/acre ½-¾” deep or Broadcast 25-35 lbs/acre. (Higher seeding rates result in finer stems for improved hay drydown.)
Click here to learn more about Alternative Forage Crops. by Dr. Dan Undersander, Forage Agronomist at the University of Wisconsin.
Have you used this product? Let us know what you think.