RC Tecumseh Switchgrass
- First new upland switchgrass release since 1989 for the Great Plains
- Tall height and excellent yield potential – can reach 6-7′ tall in MN. It is the tallest upland switchgrass for the Northern Great Plains
- A new early season variety of upland switchgrass developed from Summer switchgrass (originating in Eastern Nebraska)
- It is both heat and drought tolerant (better drought tolerance than Cave-in-Rock)
- Genetically improved for ease of establishment, upright growth habit and increased height, making it an ideal choice for high quality habitat for deer
- Provides a good wintering habitat for pheasants as it is better standing than existing commercial upland varieties of switchgrass for the Northern Great Plains
- Maturity approximately 9 days earlier than Cave-in-Rock
- Small seeded variety that works very well for frost seeding
- Selected for reduced seed dormancy and increased seedling vigor
- Very good winter hardiness and persistence, tested to be winter hardy to zone 3B
- Grows well on diverse soil types throughout the Great Plains. It is very well suited to low fertility sandy soils in the Upper Midwest. In the Midwest it can be used in a mixture with RC Big Rock. In southern zones can be mixed with a lowland switchgrass
- A multi-purpose grass variety suited for forage, biomass, soil conservation and wildlife habitat applications
- Best adapted to regions that receive on average less than 30″ of average annual precipitation (see map).
- For regions that receive 26-30″ consider a blend of RC Tecumseh and RC Big Rock
- For regions that receive more than 30″ use RC Big Rock
- For regions that receive less than 26″ use RC Tecumseh
Pure Stand Seeding Rate PLS lbs / acre: 6.0
Height: up to 7’+
In stock and ready to ship!
$16.00 / Pure Live Seed Pound
Our native grass and wildflower species come from Midwest growers and are adapted to the Upper Midwest. We meet all state and federal seed laws, and we do not sell seed contaminated with palmer amaranth. Native grasses and forbs are priced by Pure Live Seed (PLS) per lb. Visit www.alseed.com for full descriptions of our native species and mixtures.